Thursday, March 14, 2013

A whole new meaning to Dr. Mom

They say that mom knows it all. That we go with our instincts and do what we need to do. Well today was a true testament to that.

I was sitting in the floor with Logan changing his diaper. When I sat him up to move him, he did this huge coughing number followed by a very odd look on his face. I sat him up in his chair and suctioned him out, and proceeded to start his feeding. I sat down beside him and all of the sudden his pulse ox was going off and he was desatting down to 88%. His face was very flushed, he was sweating a lot, his heart rate shot up, and his vent settings started to change. At this point, I'm in Dr. Mom mode. Logan has this very blank, almost freaked out look on his face. Oh God, his lung was collapsed.

I started giving him Xoponex inhaler to open up his lungs, then I gave him a 3% saline treatment to try and loosen everything up in his lungs. I did this twice and then put Logan on his stomach and did chest PT like crazy to knock whatever had plugged him up loose. Thank God after about 15 minutes of this Logan's sats and vent settings started coming up and we have avoided a trip to the hospital.

Logan is doing much better now. He's watching Mickey Mouse and fighting sleep. :)

These are very scary moments indeed, but when it comes to my baby, I will do my everything to make sure he is ok. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kathleen. I seriously think you'd make a great doctor!

    ReplyDelete