Thursday, February 7, 2013

The big ONE!

Logan turned the big ONE yesterday! I remember a year ago, we were so excited to finally meet our son, but very nervous at the same time. I had developed polyhydramnios (excessive fluid) that last month and couldn't feel Logan moving. I had weekly ultrasounds because I couldn't feel him, he was breech, and the fluid kept building up. My OB was concerned, but there wasn't much we could have done, but just wait until 39 weeks and take him then. I was miserable, my feet were so swollen they were purple. At 39 weeks and 1 day, we had Logan via C-section because he was still breech. They prepped me in the OR and Brian came in. It was time to have our baby boy. They suctioned over 4.5 liters of fluid out of me....talk about feeling relief! It seemed like forever before they finally pulled him out. I remember Dr. Lavoie saying "Are you guys ready to meet your baby?"  Of course!!! At 5:36pm she pulled him out, but there was no cry, no nothing, just silence. The put him under the warmer and started working on him. That really felt like eternity. Brian looked over at me, and I knew then, something was really wrong with my baby. That operating room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I couldn't contain the tears anymore. They finally got Logan breathing and he was brought to me where I got to kiss him for a second and then we was rushed to the NICU. They immediately put Logan on cpap. Meanwhile, I was wheeled into recovery where I was hysterical. I knew they wouldn't let me go up and see Logan until I started getting some feeling back in the my legs. I just laid there crying, and praying for my legs to move so I could go see my baby. Finally, after 3 hours in recovery, they wheeled me up to the NICU on a gurney so that I could see Logan. There he was, laying under the warmer, so lifeless, and no color to him. He was so tiny...all 5 lbs. 9.5 oz of him. That night I got my feeling back in my legs by 3am, and Brian wheeled me up to the NICU to see Logan. I got to hear him cry, it was very weak and high pitched, but it was a cry. It was the happiest day of my life, but also one of the scariest.

We had such a great day yesterday. I woke up hearing the sweet noises of my baby boy, which is becoming more common every day. He was laying in his crib watching his Mickey Mouse clubhouse and nurse Rene was getting him ready for his bath. Rene had bought him some balloons, which he loves right now. Logan grabs the strings and tugs on them making the balloons float around. Rene takes him off of the vent while he's getting his breathing treatment and bath. Logan doesn't mind it at all, since he is distracted by Mickey and balloons.
Logan's case manager came out to the house yesterday and did Logan's recertification for his CAP/c, which is a Medicaid waiver program that pays for Logan's nursing. CAP/c is also paying for a generator which was installed last week. This generator will power the whole house, minus a few little things. They also gave Logan is HUGE sucker, which he wanted to devour, but mommy wouldn't let him eat it all! It was almost as big as him!

Carolina Mobility came out yesterday also. Logan got fitted for a new bath chair and a new kid cart with every accessory he could need. These should arrive in 3-4 months.

Overall, we had a great first birthday...even though daddy had to work.

We are so blessed that Logan is here on his first birthday after all the close calls we had before he was trached. Traching Logan was very scary for us, and a huge change for all of us, BUT it has saved his life!!!! It has made his quality of life much, much better. He's a strong, resilient little guy, and always smiles. How could you be sad about that? He's here, he's happy, and he's getting stronger. What more could we ask for?

Saturday we are celebrating Logan's birthday with our family, friends, coworkers, and community! Thank you to everyone for the prayers and support!


No comments:

Post a Comment